One Year Ago, Today (Post 2)

One year ago, today, we met a sweet little boy sitting in the same small waiting room as us with his father.  Justin had just finished signing his life over to me, literally, and we had moved up to the next waiting room for the rest of the day’s procedures.  From one waiting room to the next and then back to this one.   A sentence or two into the small talk, the father replied, “You aren’t from around here, are you ?”  I’ll have to say, the northerners catch on fast.  A few sentences into most conversations returned the usual reply, “Where are you from?”  Or my personal favorite, “What part of the South are you from?”  The conversation continued as Justin commented on the little boy’s balloon, the boy never said anything much.  The father replied, “ Tell him, you have to be real brave to get a balloon.”  I can’t imagine the fear going through either of their minds, but knowing the procedure was the same for this 3 year old little boy was overwhelming even just to me.   I don’t remember either of the parents names, but I do remember seeing them the next day in the ICU waiting area and waving as I passed their sweet child’s room in ICU on my way to get some ice.  However, the most memorable and exciting meeting was in the hallway a week later, when he almost ran over Justin and I on his tricycle with mom trailing behind.  He wasn’t shy or quiet, smiling, half screaming/half giggling as he rounded the corner!  What a miracle!  I hope you find the screaming/giggling/smiling child in you today!

vehicle_clipart_tricycle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Room Service

Update and Welcome

Congratulations!!