Waiting

Waiting is for me the HARDEST part of anything really.  I don't want to wait for the dishes to wash, or the clothes to dry, or sit in traffic, or wait for a favorite holiday to arrive, or to hear God answer my prayers.  Yes, I know that took a crazy hard turn, but it's the real life moments that bring us into reality. We live in an instantaneous world. Where you don't even have to wait for the commercial to be over, because Netflix doesn't have commercials.  Anyone else grow up folding clothes in front of the tv, and run to put them away during the commercial so you didn't miss anything?  Now you can pause it, rewind it, skip commercials, have it instantly.  Don't get me wrong there are many instant things I enjoy and wouldn't trade.  I don't want to bring my water from a well outside, or hand wash my clothes, or hang them to dry, or wait for the hot water.  I am as spoiled as the rest of us. Which is why, I think, that being patient is so hard. We are surrounded by fast paced everything.  We have a  wealth of knowledge at our finger tips just waiting to be explored.  (And some things I wish weren't there to be explored.)

So, in this crazy life (that I don't want to trade for a time without electricity),
How do we manage to slow down?
How do we manage to wait? 
How do I stop and say, "It's ok to wait."? 

When your child is screaming, and it's bedtime and you're tired, how do you wait for the calm?
When you have no answers for how to pay the bills?
When you have no answers for your wandering child?
When you don't understand . . . (fill in the blank)?

How do you WAIT?

Well, if you came here looking for all the answers, I'm sorry I don't have them.  Here is what I know. 

Psalm 46:10 says, "Be Still and Know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"

So here it is. BE STILL.  Wait on God. There is nothing in this fast paced world that makes this easy.  There is nothing that I can say that will make your anxiety go away.  But, God says, "Be still".  I always like to look back and see what is going on in a chapter of the Bible before I just take a verse and think it applies.  So, the writer here starts the chapter with saying "God is our refuge and strength" and continues to say "even though the earth be removed, and the mountains carried into the sea." 

Some key words: 
refuge -"a condition of being safe or sheltered from pursuit, danger, or trouble".
even though- "despite the fact."

Refuge: if we trust God to be our refuge, then the anxiety is gone.  That takes trust, that takes letting go, that takes surrender, that takes letting go (I realize I already said that - it's for me to hear it again.).   What if we let go and allowed God to be our safe place, our rest, our shelter. 

Even though: Regardless of what comes next, or what I imagined in my mind, or what my reality seemed (or maybe even is).  Even though I am not worthy, even though I don't have the answers, even though I didn't bring this own myself, even though I sinned and did bring this on myself, even though I am broken, even though . . . .

BE STILL - He is GOD





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Room Service

Congratulations!!

100 Thankful Thoughts (cont. post #4)